Not all of us naturally have that perfectly straight smile that we see on the big screen. However, thanks to modern dental technology, you don’t need to settle for a mouthful of metal brackets and wires either. Invisalign can correct misalignment issues without taking away from your appearance, but will it take away your ability to enjoy your morning cup of coffee? Continue reading to find out if coffee and Invisalign are a good mix.
Can You Drink Coffee While Wearing Your Invisalign Aligners?
You shouldn’t be drinking coffee when you are wearing your Invisalign aligners. When they are in your mouth, you shouldn’t be consuming anything other than water. Here are a few reasons why this is the case:
- Staining: Eating or drinking anything other than water can cause your trays to become discolored. Your teeth can also become more prone to staining because the coffee will ultimately get trapped between your trays and teeth.
- Tooth Decay: Since coffee is acidic, and you may add cream and sugar, you are at increased risk of decay if you drink it, especially when it’s getting caught in your aligners.
- Warping: Invisalign trays are heat-sensitive, but if you are drinking a very hot cup of coffee, the trays can warp and become damaged. This can get in the way of your treatment progress.
4 Tips for Drinking Coffee with Invisalign
If you are a coffee lover, you’re in luck! You don’t need to give up your morning cup of coffee. Here are some steps you can take to enjoy your morning brew without having to worry about your orthodontic treatment:
- Take out your aligners: When it’s coffee-o-clock, take out your aligners. Place them in their case so they don’t get lost.
- Drink quickly: You still need to be wearing your aligners for 20-22 hours each day, so you can’t be sipping on your coffee for too long. Be efficient when drinking your coffee so you can put your trays back in.
- Limit the sugar: By limiting the amount of sugar you add to your coffee, you can also lower your probability of developing a cavity.
- Brush afterward: Brush your teeth after you finish your coffee. If you’re unable to do so, at least give your smile a quick rinse.
You don’t have to wave goodbye to coffee when you have Invisalign. However, you should be taking precautions to keep your smile safe. By using the tips listed above, you can enjoy your cup of joe!
About the Practice
At ProSmiles Dental & Orthodontics of Hurst, we have a team of 5 skilled dentists serving the Hurst community. With their combined experience and expertise, patients can get pretty much anything they need conveniently under one roof! To learn more about Invisalign or to schedule an appointment, visit our website.